You wont need a vehicle permit to visit the coloured sands from Rainbow Beach south to Middle Rock or if you are accessing Bymien Picnic area and walks from the northern access of Rainbow Beach Road. Why not enjoy the Freshwater campground. It’s only 8 kilometres from Double Island along Teewah Beach. You’ll get there only by four wheel drive though. It can also be found by travelling along the Freshwater Road for 14 kilometres. It’s shaded and only a few hundred metres from the beach. You can book group sites through QPW. At the camp you’ll find hot showers available using $1 coins, toilet facilities, garbage disposal, designated campsites and free gas bbq’s. You’ll need to book first, there are no animals allowed and campfires are also prohibited. You are not permitted to use generators, or to dump portable toilet waste. Remember to check local conditions before you leave.
You can explore Teewah Beach at low tide in a 4 wheel drive only, keep to regulated speed limits and follow the beach or designated tracks. Beach camping is provided along a 15 kilomtres stretch between the Noosa Shire and Freshwater Creek. There are no facilities here, however open fires are permitted unless a fire ban is in place. Bring your own clean milled timber, collecting and using bush timber including leaves and twigs is prohibited. You can use generators between 7am and 9pm. Bring a portable toilet as there is a dumping facility opposite the day use area at Freshwater. Outdoor showers and water is provided at the beach camper’s service bay in the same area. Remember to treat water, don’t bring domestic animals, bring drinking water and containers as water from ponds, creeks etc is unsuitable for drinking or domestic use. You can contact DERM online at their website for camping permits or phoning 131304 and you can book in person at
- QPW information centre on Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 7am – 4pm (except Christmas Day).
- Visit the Great Sandy National Park Information Centre at Tewantin (100m before barge). Open 7 days 8am -4pm (except Christmas Day).
- Manta-Ray Barge Pty Ltd, 66 Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 5am – 6pm (permits not available on barge – office only)
- Rainbow Beach Foodworks4 Rainbow Beach Rd, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 5am – 6:30pm.
- Rainbow Beach IGA 9/48 Rainbow Beach Rd, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 6am – 8pm.